Monday, April 25, 2016

The Trouble with Hillary's Base

Happy work week, Friends,

I await tomorrow's northeast Super Tuesday with some anxiety. The candidate I favor in the Democratic race is almost certain to go down to defeat.

Hillary Clinton will likely clinch the Democratic nomination tomorrow, mathematically speaking, and Donald Trump will emerge as the presumptive Republican nominee barring any shenanigans by the GOP leadership.

What causes me more anxiety than anything else about tomorrow's presumed outcome is the significant difference between Hillary Clinton's supporters and Donald Trump's.

Donald Trump's supporters are genuine fans, which, by the way, is aptly short for 'fanatics'. Most Hillary supporters are lukewarm at best. And this will be especially true of Bernie Sanders backers who come into her camp.

Trump excites his base. I don't see that same enthusiasm for Hillary.

So Hill? Do you think your supporters love you like my supporters love me? They love
me Hill. Their love for me is YUGE!
Already nearly a forgone conclusion, the GOP nomination of Trump hands him the party's mainstream. They will turn out in loyal lockstep to vote for him in November, regardless of their current grumbling.

The same can't be said of the Dems for Mrs. Clinton.

With Hillary as their nominee, I'm betting the millions of first-time voters so inspired by Bernie Sanders don't even show up. Or worse yet, many of them throw their support to Trump.

With the minions of new voters he's brought to the table, together with the party's base, The Donald's support will be so formidable he really can't lose.

Maybe I'm not seeing something. Or maybe all the Dems, and all the Independent voters they need to be victorious in November, will rally around Hillary Clinton for fear of the alternative.

The latter is possible.

Now please excuse me while I go feed my flying pig.




No comments:

Post a Comment