Thursday, May 5, 2016

Bernie's Place on the Ticket

Almost the weekend, Friends,

And it's certainly been a YUGE week! While Donald Trump says that even he was shocked at how fast he actually attained the Republican nomination, Bernie Sanders found new life in Indiana.

The question is: what exactly is that new life, and how will it impact the Democratic presidential race?

The math is pretty apparent and is heavily stacked in Hillary Clinton's favor. She's just 160 delegates away from clinching the nomination because of her 535+ "super delegates," and nine contests still remain.

With all of them divvying up their delegates proportionally, Sanders would have to get nearly every remaining vote to take the nomination. So, he's hoping to force a contested convention by swaying some of her super delegates his way.

This may or may not happen depending on Bernie's momentum going into the Philadelphia convention at the end of July.

What's clear is that Bernie holds sway over a huge bloc of Independent and first-time voters whose likelihood of voting for Hillary is a complete question mark. I say most of them won't--unless Bernie is on the ticket too.

Alright, so we really don't like each other very much, and I think her values are pretty
screwed up, but I'll do anything to stop Donald Trump. Heck, I'll even be Vice President

I had this crazy thought yesterday morning after I wrote yesterday's post. Then, not two hours later, I happened to have NPR on the car radio, and someone casually mentioned Bernie as Hillary's potential running mate. I knew I was onto something.

I, for one, could actually vote for that ticket without holding my nose.

It would be a brilliant way to ensure The Bern stays kindled and he has a personal stake in the race, keep him out stumping where he's so effective, and capture a YUGE voting bloc.

He's already said he'll do anything to keep Trump from being president, and being Vice President ain't a bad way to do that.

I admit, I love Bernie Sanders...but his chances of winning the nomination are worse than that snowball we're always referring to.

A Clinton/Sanders ticket would win by a landslide.  To me, a lifelong political reporter and observer, it's an absolute no brainer.

I say it's going to happen, and remember where you read it first.


No comments:

Post a Comment