Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Welcome to a Whole New World

Happy Hump Day Friends,

As I knew they would, the voters of Michigan felt The Bern yesterday, and we woke up to a whole new world this morning.

I've been saying since the South Carolina primary that Hillary Clinton would be unable to win in the traditional blue states because she's losing the white vote, and Bernie Sanders' message would soon start to resonate with a significant portion of the black electorate.

That's exactly what happened in Michigan. Instead of getting just 10 to 15% of black votes as he did in the deep southern states won by Hillary (and all likely to be captured by the GOP in the general election), Bernie drew more than 30% of  the black vote in Michigan.

What? You mean I won Michigan? Wow! Everyone went home already. Oh well, I'll
just do it all over again next week.

I said in my post of February 21 that Bernie would win the nomination, if he could just capture a slightly bigger chunk of the black vote. He did it in Michigan.

The Bern basically split black voters under 29 years old  50-50 with Hillary, and that's what decided the contest. I predict that Bernie will be able to rinse, lather, and repeat this same strategy clear across the whole northern and west-coast tier of urban blue states. He's got genuine momentum now.

Too bad for Hillary. She's again staring d'feet in d'face.

GOP pundits have been pointing to their record turnouts, but the fact is that Sanders beat Trump by more than 100,000 votes in Michigan yesterday. Also, the 700,000+ Michigan GOP voters who chose candidates other than Trump, are not likely to flock to The Donald in the general election.

Most likely they'll run the other way fast. They'll either vote for the Democrat or not at all.

As we look at the landscape of this morning's new world, the likelihood of a face-off between Sanders and Trump is exponentially greater.

Some of the Democratic leadership has slowly started leaking away from Clinton (Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, Sen. Elizabeth Warren). Watch for more and more high-profile Dems and big-name celebrities to move into Bernie's camp.

Once momentum slips away, it takes a major disruption to get it back.

I've got my best pundit's hat on now, and as I gaze into my crystal ball, I can't see that happening for Hillary.


No comments:

Post a Comment